Find tutorials and examples that interest you, type along, and make up your own variations whenever possible. Change the code, break it, see how PicoLisp responds.
Once you begin to build and discover new things, we'd love you to share your stuff with the community. Here's more info about the wiki, including how to contribute. Happy hacking!
- A PicoLisp Tutorial Explore the language on this guided tour. Refreshments to follow!
- The PicoLisp Reference The concepts, data types and kernel functions of the system.
- The PicoLisp form library The form library, a part of the included web application framework.
- The Manual Page If that's your thing.
- The Common Index The essential PicoLisp documentation in one gloriously hyperlinked document.
Show me the code
- PicoLisp on Rosetta Code Compare PicoLisp to your favorite language to get comfortable. We have over 600 bite-sized solutions to real world tasks to get you started.
- By Category Quick links to relevant examples, organized into common categories
Tutorials to get you off the ground and into the clouds
- Web Development Building browser-based applications with PicoLisp...
- The httpGate proxy server How to set up and use httpGate.
- Databases and Distributed Systems spread across many machines...
- Embedded Programming even really really small ones.
A closer look at important aspects of the PicoLisp system
- Interfacing with Other Software Writing libraries, FFI's, and communicating with the outside world.
- Metaprogramming And other Lisp wizardry.
- The Function FAQ Frequently asked questions and detailed explanations of certain functions.
Articles & Essays
- Even small details make a difference! The 'quote' function and how it handles its arguments.
- Read- vs Run-time The distinction between the two and a closer look at how they interact
- Evaluating vs Non-evaluating Functions An important concept in the PicoLisp system
- Analysis of Rosetta Code A review of commonly used functions in the Rosetta Code listing
- The Dual Nature of NIL A closer look at NIL's internal representation.
- The many uses of '@' in PicoLisp Summary of the possible meanings of the at-mark @ in PicoLisp
- Recursion in PicoLisp A detailed explanation of Recursion in PicoLisp
- Transient Namespaces A proposal for more efficient namespace organization
- First Class Environments Separating execution context and variable bindings.
- Array Abstinence Why there are no arrays in PicoLisp
- Pretty-Print and Source Code Indentation Some history and praxis
- Syntax in 'src64/' A look at PicoLisp ASM and how the 64-bit Interpreter binary is built
- How to access a Lisp only function from Pilog A short example of how to access a Lisp function not present in Pilog
- Bash Completion Exactly what it sounds like.
- Using Vim within PicoLisp It's really fast and fun.
- Emacs-style Line Editing A new Emacs-like command-line editor for PicoLisp
- Vip - Vi-Style Editor in PicoLisp A complete editor in less than 1000 lines of code
- Termux-Penti-PicoLisp Developing on Android devices with PicoLisp
VersionsDocs related to the 64-bit version:
Docs related to ErsatzLisp (PicoLisp in Java):
BooksThere are also two (free) Books about PicoLisp available online:
Wiki SourcesThe PicoLisp sources of this wiki itself, and the "social share privacy buttons" are available at
More info about the social share privacy buttons is in "lib/socialshareprivacy/README".
Examples of the Wiki in the wild:
- Web.l resembles Clojure's Ring. Simple URL dispatch.
- Macropis is a CMS/web development framework.
- Ext library is used by Pl-web and Macropis, common X-liners as one-liners, plus more.
- Indexer parses your file system and compressed archives and lets you full text search file- and directory names.
- Picoblogorg - a picolisp blog based off org files.
- Picostache an implementation of the mustache template system in PicoLisp.
- PicoLisp Libraries - several PicoLisp libraries: unit, bcrypt, https, json, nanomsg.
- tankfeeder - a whole lot of awesome PicoLisp, among other things.